Exchange Bank, a local bank with locations in Milledgeville, Gray, and Lake Oconee Georgia

Our History

Exchange Bank, Milledgeville, Georgia, was chartered May 20, 1903, and began business on June 3, 1903 in a building located at 120 West Hancock Street. In August 1907, the bank offices were relocated to 100 East Hancock Street and occupied the street level of the Masonic Building. In June 1949, the bank moved to 208 West Hancock Street. The first major expansion of facilities came with the construction of the Southside Office at 1000 South Wayne Street, which was opened for business in September 1963. The drive-in facility at 120 South Liberty was completed in September 1967. Another giant step was the completion of the Northside Office at 2400 North Columbia Street. This office was opened for business on April 10, 1972. Continuing to expand, the Southside Office was enlarged and renovated during the fall of 1972. On Monday, December 11, 1978, the bank again relocated its operations to the new main office building at 250 West Hancock Street. The Northside Office on Columbia Street (Hatcher Square) was enlarged to provide space for the first Automated Teller Machine (ATM) which became operational in the fall of 1979. A second ATM was installed in the Main Office in the spring of 1981. The Main Office was renovated during 1989, with the completion of the ground level for a Board of Directors room, training room, offices and operation areas.

New drive-in facilities at the Main Office were completed in 1994. At this time, a new drive-up ATM was also installed. In 1996, we completed a new drive-in facility and drive-up ATM at our Northside Office. In April 1998, Exchange Bank of Jones County opened in Gray, Georgia to better serve our Central Georgia customers. April 2004 saw the opening of our newest branch office, Exchange Bank of Lake Oconee, located in Greensboro.

Exchange Bank has exercised a position of financial leadership throughout the years. The continued growth and expansion of service is attributed to an aggressive policy, which has been characteristic of Exchange Bank since its organization: Customers come first and Exchange Bank has been first to provide new banking services. We are proud that we have more locations than any other bank in Milledgeville. It is through service and convenience that we attract new customers and maintain the loyalty of the established ones.

Sound financial management, a working Board of Directors and the teamwork of all employees have enabled Exchange Bank to survive depressions, wars and periods of inflations. Eight leaders have guided this bank since its inception.

Founder: Mr. Otto M. Conn
1903-1927: Mr. John Conn, First President
1927-1958: Mr. Otto M. Conn, Founder and Second President
1958-1979: Mr. John E. Garner, Jr., Third President
1979-1994: Mr. Otto C. Morrison, Fourth President
1994-1996: Mr. William D. Hart, Fifth President
1997-2003: Mr. M. W. Buster Milner, Sixth President
2004-2005: Mr. Henry J. Pope, Jr., CEO & Bradley P. Serff, President
2005-Present: Mr. Henry J. Pope, Jr., CEO and President